Monday, May 21, 2007

Keeping Track Of Tracks


There was a Parade in 2005 which I, along with some of my close friends, were lucky enough to attend. There were ghosts, olive trees, ghosts hanging from olive trees, bus breaks scrapping across the town, guns held up to shoot at the pretty pretty people, and rust displayed as gold in the right light, among other sensational things. There we sons, daughters, fathers, fathers sons, and hungry ghosts in attendance there. This spectacular Parade was held by the most unlikely Parade holding wild animals: Wolves. Little did we know that this Parade would inspire us to create a pack of our own, to celebrate the crazy things we saw from this collection of alpha males. The months that followed(even years) were littered with excerpts from the Parade witnessed.

It's getting close to Parade time again. And I haven't been this excited at the prospect of Wolf sightings for as long as I can remember, in fact since I saw an alpha male dome a doe eyed deer on animal planet weeks ago. It seems unlikely that anything other than righteousness would be unleashed by the pack. Collectively, my buddies and I are crossing all fingers and toes on our paws.

Spencer Krug unleashed his Wolf assault on the Indie masses with his Sunset Rubdown, Swan Lake debuts after the rocking he provided our guilds via "I'll Believe In Anything", "Grounds For Divorce" and "Sons And Daughters Of Hungry Ghosts" on Wolf Parades monumental debut "Apologies To The Queen Mary". What seemed as un-top-able proved to be the Pandora's box cracking open to this musical monster. "Shut Up I'm Dreaming" was one of the best releases of 2006, and Swan Lake's Debut "Beast Moans" shined brightest when Krug grasped the mic. Sunset Rubdown is planning the release of their third album "Random Spirit Lover" sometime in October, and I for one can't wait to tear open the packaging with my k-9's when my birthday rolls around. Hint to anyone wanting to birthday gift me. But Krug apparently Isn't a lone Wolf in the side project release forest. Dan Boeckner, who brought us such magnificantres as "We Built Another World" and "Shine A Light" is also on the prowl. "Plague Park", the debut album from Dan's own side project Handsome Furs, was released yesterday. From the sampling I've done, there seems to be enough to howl about. Interestingly however, neither Rubdown nor Furs really draw upon the rocking moments broadcasted on Apologies, with Boeckner relying more heavily on electronics and Krug on abstract experimentation. That is both good and bad. Good because we get to see these two howlers go at the moon with their own unique tone, and bad because the rock moments on Apologies shook you to your core.

Wolf Parade is releasing their second album this year. Sunset Rubdown their third, Handsome Furs their debut, and Swan Lake are going to drop their follow up as well. These different Wolf packs make the jungle way more exciting, and I for one can't wait to feast on their kills... Through rank of course. This concludes the excessive Wolf references and analogies.




Wolf Parade- Grounds For Divorce

Wolf Parade- We Built Another World

Sunset Rubdown- Stadiums And Shrines II


Handsome Furs- What We Had

Swan Lake- All Fires

Wolf Parade- Sons And Daughters Of Hungry Ghosts(EP Version)

Wolf Parade- Secret Knives

5 comments:

Philip said...

I hope this shit rocks. If its mellow and slow like Rubdown im gonna take my anger out on you, sir! For some reason im not surprised that YOU could come up with 73 wolf analogies in one post.

Nadirt said...

It doesn't "Rock", my honkie friend. In fact Sunset Rubdown does more rockin than Handsome Furs. But the new Wolf Parade tunes sound promising, a return to propa guild shaking!

Unknown said...

SINCE I'M NEW TO THIS ARENA, I CAN'T TRUELY AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH YOU. I HAVE HEARD SOME OF THESE SONGS ( IT WAS A MAGNUM SITUATION AND I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO SAY KHAFANE!), AND I HAVE SOME OF THEM ON CD FOR AUDITORY PLEASURES. I LOVED THE VIDEO FOR "APOLOGIES TO THE QUEEN MARY", AND IT'S ONE OF THE SONGS THAT'S ON MY CD. VERY NICELY DONE! I LOOK FORWARD TO SHARING YOUR JOY IN LISTENING TO THE NEW ALBUM. IN THE MEAN TIME I'LL DO MY BEST TO CATCH UP TO YOU GUYS AND FINE TUNE MY KNOWLEDGE OF INDIES.

Anonymous said...

Just hollering back ;)

That unreleased one IS actually released... s'called Secret Knives and is on the first Wolf Parade EP. Don't know how I've got it but it's definitely a corker though.

Nadirt said...

Good Call, bad slip on my part... "Things I Don't Know" is a spicy new tune too.