Thursday, April 19, 2007

Keeping Track of Tracks



There is a lot of good music out there. Unfortunately neither the radio nor Mtv give a flying flip about this fact. So anyone seeking out music that is artistically genuine, original, and worthy of repeat button pushing on stereo systems and music players, are forced to minor in mining to figure out how to unearth such gems on their own. I've done my share of mining the last few years, and along with blackened lungs and tarred fingernails, I have managed to find some very shiny stones. Since the artists behind these jewels are forced to sell their manifistations to no name vendors, they are often keen on offering samplers and testers to us so as to grab our attention.

So once I figure out how to fool around on this here Rantlog, I will attach such testers to my 'Keeping Track of Tracks' posts. I'll shower you with MP3's galore. I'll take you out shopping to these quaint underground caves for prescious metals you never thought existed. Best part is, they're almost always free! Beat that Zales. For now though, I'm just going to give a few heads ups a week, with some little extras thrown in for good measure (like lines that yodle), for anyone open to the possibility that they are not conjoined at the eardrums to traditional music providers.

This week I want to start with the New York City band: "The National", Who I was lucky enough to stumble across in mid 2005 via their magestic album Alligator, considered by many to be one of that years finest releases. The tracks from this album ripped through my itunes like an redecorater intent on hanging up curtains that doubled as Thinsulated blankets sheltering from cold brutal storms. Matt Berninger has a voice smoother than frozen yogurt and lyrics more real, tangible and relatable than most personal diaries:
"You turn me good and god-fearing. Well, tell me what am I supposed to do with that. I'm missing something... My mind's gone loose inside its shell(Abel)"
"Baby, come over, I need entertaining. I had a stilted, pretending day. Lay me down and say something pretty...Just say something perfect, something I can steal(Baby We'll Be Fine)"

He has the ability to be painfully honest about having flaws that affect those he cares about, but able to change gears seamlessly to let those same people know that when it matters most, he wouldn't hesitate to protect what he holds sacred.
"You were right about the end, It didn't make a difference. Everything I can remember I remember wrong(Daughters of The Soho Riots)"
"I carry the dollhouse, safe on my shoulders. Through the black city, night lights are on in the corners, And everyone's sleeping upstairs. All safe and sound. I won't the let psychos around(All The Wine)"

He is both self depricating and egotistical at the same time, but not in a way that makes you feel sorry for him or put off by his arrogance, but in a way that makes you see how you are the same way a lot of times.
The National are coming out with their new album "Boxer" on May 22nd, and already from the songs that have leaked it's clear that another treat is en route. I highly recommend getting your paws on their 2005 masterpiece "Alligator", so when the new album hits, you'll be armed.


These
Are Some Of The Highlights From Alligator:
Baby We'll Be Fine, The Geese of Beverly Road, Abel, All the Wine, City Middle, Karen
These Are Some New Gems From Upcoming Album Boxer:
Slow Show, Apartment Story, Fake Empire, Mistaken For Strangers

Heres Some Songs:
Baby We'll Be Fine- From Alligator
All The Wine- From Alligator
Secret Meeting- Black Sessions Recording
Apartment Story- From Boxer
Slow Show- From Boxer

Their Official Myspace Page:
http://www.myspace.com/thenational

Here a live performance of 'Baby We'll Be Fine" And Their Video For "Abel":
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xm7LEEjww3E
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LvM4T6BVX-gatch?v=LvM4T6BVX-g

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HEY NADERSHAH, I WANTED TO CONGRATULATE YOU ON YOUR NEW BLOG SPOT. AS WITH ALL YOUR OTHER WORKS, IT LOOKS VERY PROMISING. IT'S ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO READ YOUR OPINION ON DIFFERENT TOPICS AND INTERESTS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, WE NEED MORE AND MORE INDIVIDUALS WITHE SUCH A FRESH OUT LOOK ON LIFE.

Nadirt said...

Much Obliged. Thanks for being my first ever....response that is....
Imma keep it comin!